Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sue



This weekend something changed in the world, something changed in how I see the future, and how I treasure the past.

My dear friend and mentor lost a brief battle with cancer.

It is hard for me to give you a description of this women, both for my lack of brilliance and her indescribableness.

Imagine the strongest and biggest tree in the forest, providing shelter to so many creatures.

Consider the most beautiful field of flowers, no that isn't quite right, because she wold be the one knowing the beauty of specific seeds, providing the field to spread the seeds, fertilizing the ground to promote growth...watering, cultivating....creating the beautiful field of flowers.

She is the one that helped you to figure out how to grow, the one that saw what you could become, and then marveled as it happened.

Sister Sue Pietrus left our world suddenly this past weekend. She was the chorale and madrigal director at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College, among many other things.

I went to the Woods for an education and I found a family. She kept me on my toes and always made sure I knew I was loved.

It will take some time for me to believe there is a future without her. You see, she was supposed to meet my little girl next year. And I do not think I will ever be able to do her justice. Little Z needs to know what Sue was like, because she should want to be like her.

I always did.

I always wanted to be like her and I wanted to make her proud.

UPDATED
A beautiful description of Sue written by her best friend - Sister Dawn, and read at the vigil service this past week....