Sunday, January 11, 2009

She is here....

First and foremost - this is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen...

The past few days have been a whirlwind.
I went in for the induction on Thursday evening. My water broke on its own before midnight that night and I had steady contractions on my own with only the one cytotec application. I had some nubain and low grade narcotics throughout the evening to get me through the first few centimeters of dialation. By 4:30am I was dialated to 4cm, but I chose to wait until 7am for the epidural.

They started pitocen at low levels and I got my epidural. I continued on with the intention of a vaginal delivery.

That isn't what ended up happening.

At around 11am my nurse went to change my IV and she couldn't get it to flow into my hand. Something was wrong with it (from what I could tell after the next few moments she did not do what she was supposed to do by flushing it or something...) The next thing I new she was having troubling finding the baby's heartbeat on the monitor, her supervisor called in a bunch of other nurses, they stuck me under oxygen, threw in on my side and started doing something to my cervix. Needless to say I was freaked out. I had no idea what was going on. Praying the hail mary over and over again while they were workign away. Then something came to me about what they were doing. They were putting an internal monitor on Z. Nothing was wrong with her. She probably just moved in a way that the nurse couldn't reach. I balled for a few minutes just getting over the scarieness of that situation.

So that was around 11am, at that time I was dialated to 8cm. When they inserted the monitor they had to stop the pitcoen. When they re-started it they coulnd't start it at the same level as before because it could cause strain on the baby.
It took some time to get my contractions back to the regularity they had been coming at. Over the next hour or so I dialated to about 9.5 cm. There was a problem though...she was still to far up and my doctor didn't think my pelvis was going to be wide enough to fit her,

He gave us 3 hours to see what happened. Within the next three hours nothing really changed. She wasn't going to fit. And I have BIG hips - so evidenty a big butt does not mean you have child bearing hips!

At 3:30pm it was decided that I was going to have a c-section.
C-section began at 4pm.
Zoe Ellen Ruth Kyle was delivered at 4:18pm EST.

Weighing in at a mere 6 lbs 15 ozs - 19 inches long...

Hearing her cry right after she came out was probably the most beautiful and relieving sound I have ever heard. Hearing my husband gasp 'She is beautiful' was so amazing, I can't really explain.

All fingers and toes accounted for. Beautiful color. Really Big Feet.

Breastfeeding is going well so far. I will write more later. It is a very emotional time - adjusting my outlook on life...being so blessed...